Fiery Chicken Pitas with Kiwano Raita
- 1 Enzed Exotics Horned Melon, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 container whole plain yogurt
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 whole wheat pitas, warmed and cut in half
Step one: Squeeze horned melon into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl; press seeds with the back of a spoon to extract juice.
Step two: Discard seeds. Add fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground cumin, and yogurt to bowl; stir with a whisk. Cover and chill.
Step three: Place chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
Step four: Sprinkle both sides of chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; rub with garlic.
Step five: Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
Step six: Add 2 breast halves to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
Step seven: Repeat procedure with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and chicken. Transfer chicken to cutting board, and cool slightly.
Step eight: Cut chicken into thin strips. Fill each pita half with about 1/2 cup chicken, and top with 2 tablespoons raita.
Thanks Joy E. Zacharia, RD, Cooking Light